Saturday, July 10, 2010

St. David's News and Notes, July 10, 2010

Blessings to you this fine week of . . . well . . . "the season after Pentecost" as the 1979 Book of Common Prayer (BCP) says, or "the 6th week after Trinity" as the 1928 Prayer Book says, or "14th week of Ordinary Time" as the Roman Catholic liturgy says.

I always get a kick out of the phrase "Ordinary Time." It sounds so plain. But then, if you put in a blender and mix it up with our traditional Anglican language, "After Trinity," and our revised 1979 BCP language, "after Pentecost," then the word "Ordinary" doesn't seem quite so . . . ordinary.

Our participation in the love of the Father through the Son in the Holy Spirit is what is revealed by the gift of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. The revelation of God as Trinity is what we celebrate the following week on Trinity Sunday.  This means that at Pentecost, we're caught up in that fellowship of love who we call the Trinity, who is the One God from whom all creation flows. So if life in that love is "ordinary" (which it is for all baptized) then our Christian definition of "ordinary" is quite extraordinary.

In other words, we are loved beyond our understanding of the concept of love. And that speaks not of the smallness of our minds, but of the greatness of our God.

I want to tell you all that this Sunday we will pray together a portion of what may be my favorite Psalm, and is certainly the most influential Psalm for me, Psalm 25. I began to engage Christianity in my early 20's, not because my parents told me so (which they did and that was a good thing), but because I believed it just might be true (which is a better thing). I found Psalm 25:3-4 and wrote the verses on a note card, taped them to the dashboard of my car, and memorized them. "Make me to know your ways, O Lord; Teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me; for you are the God of my salvation. For you I wait all the day."

I have to say now that I had no idea what I was getting into. But God's ways and His paths are the best thing that I have ever committed to, or ever will, or ever could.

So I hope you don't mind if I repeat myself.

I am loved. And, my friends, you are loved. More than our capacity to know what we're getting into. So, by all means, let's get into it. Get into the love of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

To help us grow in the grace, knowledge, and love of God, the readings for this week are:
Deuteronomy 30:9-14
Psalm 25
Colossians 1:1-14
Luke 10:25-37

Announcements

St. David's - Our Wednesday evening Bible study following the 6pm Mass will cover Ecclesiastes chapters 1-3 and 4-6 if we can get to them. We had a great discussion this week, which only scratched the surface of the beginning of the book. Read what you can of chapter 1-6 of Ecclesiastes and come and join the fun. Also, our St. Augustine's Prayer Books are in. We are suggesting a donation of $15 per copy.

Blessings to you all,

Fr Greg+

No comments: