Tuesday, July 21, 2009

An Update on General Convention

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church recently concluded its business. And reports of its work have appeared and continue to appear in the press. I noticed in this afternoon's paper that the lead article is an AP report headlined, "Episcopal church to affirm gay clergy." The headline is accurate, I believe, regarding the effect of the legislation.

In addition, the convention voted this afternoon to develop liturgies for the blessing of same sex relationships. Since our church doctrine is found in our liturgies, the convention is changing the doctrine of the Episcopal Church in a way that is not consistent with the Anglican Communion and, of course, Scripture and historic Christianity.

In each case, those in favor of these developments outnumbered those opposed by nearly 2 to 1. General Convention 2009 has revealed clarity about the present and likely future of the Episcopal Church.

I don't want any confusion about where I stand. I am strongly opposed to these actions. My opposition places me in a distinct minority in the Episcopal Church, but a solid majority in the Anglican Communion and, of course, the vast majority of the Christian world.

Our Dallas Bishops also stand in opposition to these developments. Writing earlier this week, and in response to the developments, Bishop Stanton said, "My word is 'caution.' And, of course, prayer. I am troubled, as many who have written me in emails are, about what has transpired until now. There is no getting around that. Over all, however, I think we must walk through these days a step at a time."

Those are sound words that I'm happy to share with you all. "We must walk through these days a step at a time."

As a next step for St. David's, I simply want to make myself available to you all to listen to you and address any questions you may have. Here at St. David's, we'll have our conversations on Wednesday evenings. Of course, I'm always available by phone or email.

Let's commit ourselves to perseverance, patience, and continued study of and obedience to God's Word as He has revealed it in Jesus and the Holy Scriptures. And trusting our heavenly Father, we may wait word from our Bishops in Dallas, and word from Anglican leaders world-wide.

Remember that we are called to be faithful disciples of Jesus in our homes and our communities, and with God's help, that's what we will do. No legislation can keep us from that.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope" (Rom 15:13).

Fr. Greg+

No comments: